City Information

ng.council.19Serving the City of New Germany are City Clerk Twyla Menth, councilors Shirley Jaeger, Ty Turnquist, Mayor Steve Van Lith, and councilors Nick Hartwig and Cathy Ruschmeier.

Updated September 2019

New Germany City Office is located at 300 Broadway Street East, downtown.

Mailing address:

PO Box 177, New Germany, MN 55367-0177

Phone 952-353-2488

Fax 952-353-8021

Building inspections 763-479-1720

Hall rental information 952-353-2488

Clerk office hours: Monday-Thursday  8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.;  Friday closed.

Meetings are the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 7 p.m. at city hall.

City hall rental

The city hall is rented out for all occasions. Call city hall 952-353-2488 for available dates and pricing.

Building permits

New Germany adopted the Minnesota state building code. Under the code, a building permit is required for any improvements (new, repair, remodel, or replacement). The value factors in labor, whether done by a contractor or yourself.

Applications are available at city hall. Any questions regarding repairs or improvements to property may be directed to the city clerk or to the city building inspector.

Starting a construction project without obtaining the proper permit could result in an investigation fee, which is 40 percent of the permit price, with a minimum of $50. This includes re-roofing, siding, decks, window replacement, air conditioning/heat replacement, fencing, and utility sheds.

If in doubt, call the city to see if you need a permit. Check with your contractor; they don’t always obtain a permit.

House numbers should be easily visible from the street to make it easier to locate your home in an emergency situation. Numbers should be in contrast to the house color and made of reflective material.

Severe weather

When the siren blows, it means there is severe weather in the area, and you should take shelter immediately. If the siren continues to blow, it means there is still danger. There is not a siren to signal all clear. Stay tuned to your radio to be sure it is safe to come out of your basement or storm shelter.

Snow removal

The sidewalk in front of your property is your responsibility. Please keep it shoveled and clear of snow and ice. Sidewalks must be cleared within 24 hours after the snow ceases to fall. Residents may not blow snow onto city streets.

Garbage pickup

Garbage pickup is every Thursday, and garbage should be curbside by 7 a.m. The city contracts with Republic Waste Disposal for garbage removal. Residents are allowed one 35-, 64-, or 96-gallon container per week. Containers are available by calling the city at 952-353-2488. Garbage service is billed monthly along with your city utility bill. Garbage cans must be kept off of streets; please keep them on your driveway.

Curbside recycling service

Republic Waste Disposal provides curbside recycling service every other Thursday (call city office for schedule). Recyclables must be placed in recycle cans and curbside by 7 a.m.

Acceptable products are newsprint (non-shiny); glass, aluminum cans, tin cans (rinsed and labels removed); plastics, long-necked and with a 1 or 2 recycling symbols on the bottom of the bottle. Junk mail and bundled cardboard are also accepted. All  items can be co-mingled in the recycle can with the yellow lid.

Cleanup day

New Germany provides a cleanup day for city residents each spring at the city shed on Carver County Road 33 (State Ave. North). A small disposal fee applies for some items.

Brush/compost site

New Germany’s brush site has been combined with Mayer’s brush site, located on Carver County Road 30 between New Germany and Mayer. Contact the city office for the current rules.

Water and sewer

The city bills for water and sewer usage on a monthly basis. Rates are based on a service charge, plus a charge per 1,000 gallons used.  Failure to pay a utility bill results in water being turned off. Water is turned on upon payment of the utility bill plus a $25 service charge. If you are moving, contact the city clerk at 952-353-2488 with a final meter reading, forwarding address, moving date, and the new owner’s name.


Recreational fires up to 3 feet by 3 feet are allowed if they meet with city guidelines. Please check with city hall before burning.

Cat and dog licenses

Dog and cat licenses are not required, but you must keep your animals in your command (on a leash).

Parking rules

No parking on city streets between the hours of 2 and 7 a.m. from Nov. 1 to March 31 (no motor vehicle shall be parked on either side of any street or alleyway within city limits).

Parking of vehicles or trailers on any public street, alley, or lot for a period longer than 24 consecutive hours is prohibited.

No trucks greater than 15,000 pounds or truck trailer shall be parked on any public street between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Snowfall: No parking on city streets following a snowfall of 1 inch or more.  This is to allow snowplow operators to clear the roads. Sheriff’s dispatch will be called and violators will be ticketed and towed; no exceptions will be made.

Junk vehicles and blight ordinance

Residents are not allowed to store inoperable or unlicensed cars in their yards.

Residents must also keep the exterior of their homes in good condition, as well as keep yards mowed and weeds cut down.

Ordinance No. 91 is to prevent, reduce, or eliminate blight, blighting factors, or causes of blight within the city of New Germany. This includes exterior property areas, vacant properties, exterior of structures, interior of structures, vacated structures, junk automobiles and junk equipment, noxious weeds and pests, and any and all sanitation conditions.  Each spring, the city does a city-wide inspection, and sends letters to those who are not in compliance.

More information

New residents are encouraged to stop by or contact city hall at 952-353-2488 for any other information.



Xcel Energy, 421 Wabasha St., St. Paul, MN 55102.  Customer service 800-481-4700; Emergency or lights out only: 800-641-4400; TDD/TYY 800-288-5533.


CenterPoint Energy, 2400 Riverfront Drive, Mankato, MN.  Customer service 800-245-2377;  Emergency only: (gas leaks) 800-722-9326; TTY/voice 888-321-4977


Frontier Communications of Minnesota, Inc., Customer service 800-921-8102.

Cable Television

NU-Telecom 888-873-6853.